Tax Appointment

Refund Status

Tax Withholdings

Mailing a return

Credits & Deductions

Filing Status

Do I need to schedule an appointment?

Yes. Please call 211 or (239) 263-4211 to schedule. 

What should I bring to my appointment?

Your Photo ID and Social Security Card (or ITIN) are REQUIRED.

Click here to view a full list of documents.

How long will it take the IRS to process my refund?

You can generally expect the IRS to issue your refund within 21 calendar days after your tax return was received. Direct deposit is a quick, easy, secure and the best way to receive your refund. Bring a copy of your bank routing number and account number to your appointment to receive direct deposit.

How can I track the status of my refund?

Visit Where's My Refund

What are tax withholdings? 

Withholdings is the amount of money your employer sets aside from each paycheck to cover your taxes. WIthhold too much and you get a tax refund. Withhold too little and you'll end up owing. 2 factors determine how much tax is withheld from your paycheck:

  1. How much you earned each pay period
  2. The information you entered on your W-4

Where do I mail my return?

If you live in Florida..

and you are filing form.... and you ARE NOT enclosing a payment and you ARE enclosing a payment

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0002

Internal Revenue Service

PO Box 1214

Charlotte, NC 28201-1214


Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0015

Internal Revenue Service

PO Box 1214

Charlotte, NC 28201-1214


Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service

Austin, TX 73301-0014

Internal Revenue Service

PO Box 1214

Charlotte, NC 28201-1214


What is the difference between a credit and a deduction?

A non-refundable credit means you get a refund only up to the amount you owe for taxes. A refundable credit means you get a refund, even if it's more than what you owe

Tax deductions are removed from your taxable income, lowering your overall tax liability. You subtract deductions from your income before you calculate the amount of tax you owe.

For a complete listing of credits and deductions, visit 

Tax Credit Examples

Earned Income Tax Credit - click here to see if you qualify

Child & Dependent Care Credit

Adoption Credit

Child Tax Credit

Credit for the Elderly or Disabled

Saver's Credit

Lifetime Learning Credit

American Opportunity Tax Credit

Mortgage Interest Credit

Tax Deduction Examples

Standard Mileage Rate - $.54 per mile for business miles; $.19 for medical or moving purposes; $.14 for service of charitable organizations

Home Office

Business Use of Car

Business Travel

Sale of Home

Student Loan Interest

Tution and Fees Deduction

Teacher's Educational Expenses

Medical & Dental Expenses

Health Savings Accounts

Alimony Paid

What is the standard deduction? Should I itemize my deductions?

The standard deduction is subtracted from your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI), thereby reducing your taxable income. You should itemize your deductions if they are greater than the standard deduction for your filing status or if you cannot use the standard deduction based on your situation.

Filing Status Standard Deduction
Single $6,300
Married Filing Jointly $12,600
Married Filing Separately $6,300
Head of Household $9,300
Qualifying Widower $12,600

What can I itemize?

  • Medical & Dental Expenses - Click here for a detailed listing
  • State taxes like income or sales tax (you can only deduct one)
  • Real estate expenses - interest, mortgage insurance and property taxes
  • Gifts to charity
  • Losses due to theft or other casualty
  • Miscellaneous deductions - deductions subject to the 2% limit

What filing status should I choose?

Single - Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree, and you do not qualify for another filing status. The Standard Deduction for taxpayer's filing as Single is $6,300 for the 2016 tax year.

Married Filing Joint - On a joint return, you report your combined income and deduct your combined allowable expenses. You can file a joint return even if one of you had no income or deductions. If you and your spouse decide to file a joint return, your tax may be lower than your combined tax for the other filing statuses. Also, your standard deduction (if you do not itemize deductions) may be higher, and you may qualify for tax benefits that do not apply to other filing statuses. The Standard Deduction for Married Filing Joint is $12,600 for the 2016 tax year.

Married Filing Separate - You can choose married filing separately as your filing status if you are married. This filing status may benefit you if you want to be responsible only for your own tax or if it results in less tax than filing a joint return. If you and your spouse do not agree to file a joint return, you have to use this filing status unless you qualify for head of household status. The Standard Deduction for Married Filing Separate will be $6,300 for the 2016 tax year. 
Notewhen one spouse itemizes deductions the other spouse cannot claim the standard deduction, and therefore must also itemize to claim their allowable deductions.

Head of Household - You may be able to file as head of household if you meet all the following requirements:

1. You are unmarried or "considered unmarried" on the last day of the year; and

2. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home for the year; and

3. A "qualifying person" lived with you in the home for more than half the year (except for temporary absences, such as school). However, if the "qualifying person" is your dependent parent, he or she does not have to live with you.

Qualifying Widow(er) with a Dependent Child - You may be eligible to use qualifying widow(er) with dependent child as your filing status for 2 years following the year your spouse died. For example, if your spouse died in 2014 and you have not remarried, you may be able to use this filing status for 2015 and 2016. This filing status entitles you to use joint return tax rates and the highest standard deduction ($12,600 for 2016) amount (if you do not itemize deductions). This status does not entitle you to file a joint return.

*If your spouse died during the current tax year, you can use married filing jointly as your filing status for this year if you otherwise qualify to use that status. The year of death is the last year for which you can file jointly with your deceased spouse.

What is a "Qualifying Child"?

A “qualifying child” may enable a taxpayer to claim several tax benefits, such as Head of Household filing status, the exemption for a dependent, the child tax credit, the child and dependent care credit and the earned income tax credit (EIC).

For more information on rules, click here