Interested in Volunteering for VITA 2021?
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, through the United Way of Collier County, provides FREE tax preparation and electronic filing to individuals throughout Collier County that earn less than $66,000 per year.
Each year, community volunteers go through a training and certification process to become IRS Volunteer Tax Preparers. To volunteer for this program you do not need a background in finance or accounting, experience preparing taxes, knowledge of tax laws, or any other skills or experience relating to tax preparation. SERIOUSLY! Our fabulous trainer, Mary, will teach you everything you know, and you can count on your VITA Program Lead and Site Coordinators to assist you during sessions all season long.
Volunteering for the VITA program is rewarding, and some might even say it's FUN! The hours are flexible, and we have locations throughout Collier County, including Immokalee. You'll also meet like-minded individuals while learning a valuable new skill and helping families in your community keep more of what they earn!
Contact Loretta by emailing VITA@keysunitedway.org or calling 305-563-1470 with any questions
- The training schedule is TBD and will take place in December through the end of January
We will work through scenarios that involve clients who:
- have self-employment income:
- receiving a 1099-misc and cash income
- a 1099K (payments received from credit cards--Ride-Share Drive)
- have expenses in which we need to determine which expenses are allowed
- have mileage
- have medical insurance part of the year
- who itemize deductions,
- have paid student loan interest
- want to split their refund into more than one account--Form 8888
- Have Social Security Income
- Have a Dividend Income
- Have Capital Gains/Loss transactions
- Have Cancellation of Debt - Credit Cards
- Have insurance through Marketplace & Medicare
- Have education expenses
- Have daycare expenses
- And more!
The training is being held remotely this year. The program is run through a web-based program.
Please bring with you:
- 4012 Volunteer Resource Guide (your VITA "bible") (Will receive at first session)
- Log-in information for Practice Lab (Will receive at first session)
- Pencil/Pen Highlighter for notes
YOU EARNED YOUR MONEY. KEEP MORE OF IT.
If you earned less than $66,000 per year, you can get your taxes filed for FREE!
Tax Day - Wednesday, April 15, 2021
United Way of Collier County wants to support our community and its hard-working residents. Through our VITA program and partnership with MyFreeTaxes, we would like to offer you FREE options to file your taxes this year.
We will be preparing all returns remotely this year.
Don't feel like using one of our IRS volunteers? MyFreeTaxes.com is a free online tool for you to file your taxes in the convenience of your own home. It's easy, simple, fast and secure. When you file electronically, you let the computer do the math. Your work is saved at every step, so you can always come back and work on it later. MyFreeTaxes software has error checkers and calculators built in so you have a much smaller chance of making an error. Your personal information will not be shared with anyone.
United Way & the 2020 Tax Filing Season:
500+ Tax Payers Served
$820,000+ in Tax Returns
$125,000+ in Tax Fees Saved
36 Certified IRS Volunteers
687 Volunteer Hours
8 VITA Sites
3 Corporate Sites
57 VITA Sessions
Thank you to our many returning volunteers who join us season after season!